Whether you are an individual or a company and you are owed money, we can help you in taking action to recover it. We can also help you if you are being sued for money. Our specialist litigation lawyers also act for companies which are located outside the UK in pursuing debts which are due under contracts governed by English law or to enforce foreign judgments in the UK where the debtors have assets. In addition, we can help you to enforce a UK judgment in other jurisdictions by connecting you with our network of foreign lawyers.
If someone does not want to pay you but they have the money to do so you can put a lot of pressure on them by making a claim in the courts and obtain a judgment.
Debt Recovery & Money Claims Lawyers Middlesex
If the debtor is a company and refuses to satisfy a judgment, it can be very difficult to know whether the company is solvent as the last accounts they filed at Companies House may paint a less accurate picture of liquidity. The best way to deal with this situation is to serve a Statutory Demand on the company which is the first step to putting the company into liquidation. This usually brings about a settlement or reveals that the company is insolvent and unable to pay its debts.
If the debtor is an individual you can try to get a court judgment, which will give you the right to send a bailiff around to enforce against their goods. The judgment will also appear on their credit record if they don’t pay the judgment off within 30 days of the judgment date. This risk is usually enough to get a debtor to pay. If they still refuse to pay and they own a property or shares you can ask the court to make a “charging order” to secure your debt against their interest in the property or the shares which means they won’t be able to sell them without satisfying your judgment. You can also force them to come to court and explain what their assets and liabilities are. If they don’t agree to do that, you can also serve a Statutory Demand on them which is the first step towards making them bankrupt. That usually evokes a response.
Contact our debt recovery lawyers in Ruislip, Middlesex today
We also act for the suppliers of goods and services in such cases, so we know this area from both sides of the fence.
Examples of recent cases dealt with by us:
- Claim against "second" estate agent for fees where property sold by first estate agent.
- Defending claim for fees from negligent expert.
- Claim against letting agent who failed to protect deposit on rental property.
- Claim against major estate agent in recovering renewal commission and costs following major litigation by the Office of Fair Trading.
- Advising student in resisting claim by electricity supplier for charges owing by landlord.
- Claims for creditors companies domiciled outside the EU who were seeking to enforce debts owing by UK nationals or other off-shore company debtors who had agreed to be bound by English law under their contracts with the creditor.