Practical Guidance on Will Signing With Social Distancing
The Ministry of Justice has confirmed that Solicitors acting in connection with the execution of wills are key workers during the Covid 19 crisis.
Here at The Sethi Partnership Solicitors we are continuing to draft Wills for clients who wish to ensure their affairs are in order.
Whilst we await guidance from the Ministry of Justice and the Law Society on the execution of Wills at this unprecedented time, we have set out below some guidance on how the Wills can be executed in accordance with the current Law whilst maintaining social distancing.
Option 1 – Our Outdoor Office
- You are welcome to attend our outdoor office to sign your final Will.
- The outdoor office area is spacious and can be accessed via an outside entrance.
- There is therefore no need to enter our building.
- You will be able to sign your Will in front of two independent witnesses.
- They will watch you sign and will come forward to sign whilst maintaining social distancing at all times.
Option 2 – We can send you your Will with detailed instructions on how to execute it
- Once your draft Will is approved, we will send to you with guidance on how to execute it.
- You will need two independent witnesses.
- If possible, we suggest asking two neighbours or friends (who are in good health and should not be self-isolating) to watch you sign your Will.
- The witnesses should maintain the correct distance away (if not further) at all times.
- The witnesses should have you in their line of sight at all times.
- Once you have signed and dated the Will you should step back.
- One witness should step forward and sign and complete their details.
- They should then step back and the second witness should come forward and sign and complete their details.
- We would suggest that each individual involved in the signing process has their own pen to hand.
- We also suggest that, if and where possible, to do the signing outside (hopefully on a nice dry day!) so that sufficient distance can be maintained at all times.
Contact our Wills Solicitors in Ruislip, Middlesex
The Sethi Partnership Solicitors are doing everything we can to ensure that the Government’s guidance on social distancing is adhered to at all time. We have a wealth of experience in providing comprehensive legal advice on Wills and Estate Planning. Whatever your circumstance, our friendly Wills and Probate solicitors can provide bespoke services to cater for your needs.
For advice on making your Will, please contact us on 0208 866 6464 or complete our online enquiry form.
The Sethi Partnership Solicitors I The Barn House I 38 Meadow Way I Eastcote I Ruislip I Middlesex I HA4 8TB
Please note that whilst we take every reasonable endeavour to ensure that the information and commentary is up-to-date and factual, any information or commentary is for information purposes only and is provided free of charge. Any opinions expressed are reserved and entirely those of the author. There is no assumed liability by The Sethi Partnership Solicitors, its employees or principals as to the contents and its correctness or accuracy, or for any consequences that may follow if the content or information is relied on.
The content, information or opinions expressed do not, and are not intended to, constitute legal advice by any means. If you require advice, we strongly advise that you speak with a specialist lawyer or legal advisor who is authorised to provide you with legal advice on your particular matter and not to rely on any commentary of information on this site.